Onigiri is a wonderful (and easy) choice for packed lunch. This type of onigiri will be filled with tuna and mayonnaise, but these delicious rice balls can be filled with a variety of wonderful things!
What You’ll Need
1 cup cooked, hot rice (medium or short grain is preferred)
1 sheet dried nori (seaweed), cut into wide strips
1 can tuna, drained
1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon salt
1. In a bowl, mix the tuna and mayonnaise.
2. Put half of the rice onto a square of plastic wrap. Make an indent in the center of the rice and add some of the tuna-mayonnaise mixture.
3. Wrap the rice in the plastic wrap and press into a triangle shape.
4. Remove the plastic wrap and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt over the rice ball.
5. Wrap the nori around the middle half of the rice ball, as pictured above.
Note: You can also wrap the onigiri in a small sheet of nori for convenience and less mess.